Maureen Chobanoff is the Sunset Spotlight. Maureen is playing the role of Lexie in our production of THE DIXIE SWIM CLUB which opens on April 20th and runs through May 7th.
- When did you first become involved at Sunset Playhouse and what areas have you been involved with here at the Playhouse?
My first show was THE MOUSETRAP in September, 2014. I played the “loveable” Mrs. Boyle. And although the aspects of technical theater amaze me, the thought of being a stage manager on stage crew otherwise terrifies me. I have the utmost respect for technical theater folks. Onstage is where I’m most at home.
- If you are working on a Sunset show right now, what is your role?
Right now, I’m working on DIXIE SWIM CLUB, in the role of Lexie. I see her as a cross between Scarlett O’Hara and The Golden Girls’ Blanche Devereaux.
- If an actor, what has been your favorite role to date and what is your dream role?
I have 2 roles that are at the top of my Favorites list: Joy in SHADOWLANDS, because of her strength and wit, and Sister Mary Thomasina in CATHOLIC SCHOOL GIRLS, for her “quirky intensity”. One of my “bucket list” roles has been Nurse Ratched in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST, which I had the privilege of performing here at Sunset in January, 2015.
- What do you enjoy most about the Sunset?
Sunset is very “actor-friendly” and has some of the highest community theater standards I’ve experienced. I feel completely at home here, and I consider the people I’ve worked with and gotten to know, like a second family.
- When not at Sunset, how do you spend your time?
I’m somewhat of a homebody; my husband Michael and I are both movie fans, so we make good use of our Netflix subscription! I also enjoy spending time with my daughters Emlyn and Genevieve, and my parents, Jerry and CiCi.
- What is your favorite color/food/movie/TV show/book/musical or play?
Dark Purple or Plum/Homemade Nachos/The Harry Potter films or The Help/Seinfeld or Breaking Bad/Celebrity Biographies/Evita or Cabaret
- What is your favorite quote?
“You is kind…You is smart…You is important.” – Abileen Clark, “The Help”
- Any other comments?
I thank Sunset for letting me play again; I can’t say enough how excited I am to be back! It’s truly a special place.
Photo: Cilento Photography